[time-nuts] Distribution amp - Use a video amp unit ?

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Tue Mar 27 23:27:34 UTC 2012

Bruce wrote:

>The above reverse isolation [~35 dB] is about 25dB lower than I would expect.

D'oh!  Bruce is right -- I calculated the reverse isolation
incorrectly.  I had only been expecting 40 dB, so I didn't question
the result.  The breadboard actually measured nearly 63 dB.

>Stable operation at unity gain is necessary if a feedback capacitor is used.

The Miller capacitance of the output transistors sees to that (with
an even greater phase margin when a faster transistor is used for Q1).

>An LM329 has similar noise without the dissipation of the internal
>heater in the LM399

I know.  I just particularly like the 399, and have a pile of
them.  I rationalize using it in this case by noting that the range
of frequencies where phase noise of the DA is important includes sub-
to low-Hz frequencies at which thermal effects could make the
unheated 329 significantly noisier (though if you keep drafts off
both of them, it might not be by a large amount).

Best regards,

Charles