[time-nuts] Best reason

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 28 13:17:35 UTC 2012

On 3/28/12 1:28 AM, Jim Palfreyman wrote:
> So when a member of the general public says:
>
> Why do we need really accurate clocks?
>
> What is your answer?
>
> Personally I explain that accurate clocks enable you to pack a higher data
> rate into your smart phone. They like that.

But I don't know that it's actually true.  The phone application has to
tolerate temperature swings, and the modulation needs to be suitable for
a multipath environment, but timing isn't as important.

Some degree of timing is needed for time difference of arrival kinds of
position finding for E-911, although these days, I think more of that is
assisted GPS, and in any case, the timing requirement to get 100
meter-ish precision isn't all that tight.

> Any other thoughts?

Precision navigation. Not just GPS in your car, but things like:
pesticide, fertilizer, and seed application
better grading for roads and construction
repeat pass interferometric radar  (allows much better remote sensing
from airborne platforms, which is cheaper than stomping through the
bushes and weeds)
disaster management
aircraft routing and landing