[time-nuts] Opera coordinator has resigned

Javier Serrano javier.serrano.pareja at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 14:55:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM, iovane at inwind.it <iovane at inwind.it> wrote:
> http://inagist.com/all/185697069783195648/
>
> Personally I'm sorry about such an end of the story.

There was a meeting in Gran Sasso on Wednesday. You can see some of
the slides at http://agenda.infn.it/materialDisplay.py?materialId=slides&confId=4896

I found particularly interesting the ones by Maximiliano Sioli, where
he explained the two mistakes found in the OPERA data acquisition
chain and how, after correcting for their best estimate of their
effects, the time of flight is compatible with a speed of c.

I saw the webcast of the event. Some people did give the OPERA
spokesman a hard time, and he admitted to not having fully checked
everything they could have. Ah well, everyone makes mistakes. There
will be another run with neutrinos spaced by 100 ns in May. If all
four experiments in LNGS give the same result this time, I suppose the
case will be closed. It will also be very interesting to see the MINOS
results.

In any event, from a time-nut point of view this is quite exciting. It
is the first time neutrino speed is measured with this precision. I
think this will pave the way for future experiments using precision
geodesy and time transfer.

Cheers,

Javier