[time-nuts] Opera coordinator has resigned

Javier Serrano javier.serrano.pareja at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 20:03:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 7:42 PM, J. Forster <jfor at quikus.com> wrote:
> There are failures and there are failures.
> A negative result is a failure that is worth reporting.
> A failure due to an improperly mated connector...  not so much.

That is saying to anyone who wants to do a similar experiment in the
future that they need at least two redundant systems. I believe that
is quite a valuable lesson.

Concerning the OCXO, one has to bear in mind that this experiment was
not meant to measure time of flight, but rather neutrino oscillations.
The message for me here is that it's good to publish all your designs,
including gateware sources, as soon as possible, but I don't know how
compatible that is with today's highly competitive scientific world.

So I think there is an important lesson behind each one of the two
issues. Of course this is easy to see from outside and after the fact.

Cheers,

Javier