[time-nuts] 1 pps correction

Said Jackson saidjack at aol.com
Sat Mar 31 17:52:52 UTC 2012

Chris,

You are describing the differences and advantages of software correction versus hardware correction.

The delay line will also have a temperature dependent drift besides the added noise, but it does give you a real time 1pps.

The software correction requires a good time interval counter. But then it works very well.

On our CSAC GPSDO boards for example with 20ps resolution interval counter the user can display the corrected time capture of the 1pps second to second, and the numbers vary less than 100ps typically (some of which is noise from the reference oscillator) showing how well the 1pps is corrected internally by the software.

There is also a cns paper (link was sent to this list some weeks ago) that shows the software solution being slightly better on an m12 receiver than the delay line version.

Bye,
Said