[time-nuts] Opera coordinator has resigned

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 31 20:38:00 UTC 2012

On 3/31/12 1:15 PM, Brooke Clarke wrote:
> Hi Achim:
>
> SMA RF connectors have a very limited life (number of matings) until
> they are worn out.

I don't think so.  Yes, they're only rated for 500 cycles, but there's a
paper by a guy at Maury Microwave that I ran across when trying to get
statistics on the reflection coefficient variation, and he set up a
automated rig to mate/demate SMAs something like 10,000 times.

I suspect that there is a WIDE variation among mfrs in terms of life
performance and manufacturing precision.

the 3.5mm connector (sort of a precision, super SMA), is rated for 3000
cycles.