[time-nuts] thunderbolt "no UTC offset"

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue May 1 19:06:17 UTC 2012

Incorrect, the UTC offset should be sent in the Almanac, the Almanac
having a period of 12.5 minutes max. Not one hour. It should take no more  than
12.5 minutes to get the UTC offset when sats are properly being  received.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 5/1/2012 11:45:06 Pacific Daylight Time,
francesco.messineo at gmail.com writes:

Hi  Hal,

On 5/1/12, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>  wrote:

> francesco.messineo at gmail.com said:
>> I just  powered on again my trimble thunderbolt after some time without
>>  antenna. All alarms are green but the obvious leap second pending. BUT:
>> can't use UTC time as both tboltmon and lady heather display a  "No UTC
>> offset" message. I don't remember having seen this in the  past. What's
>> wrong
>> with the thunderbolt  now?
>
> How long has it been on?
>
> The UTC offset  comes from the satellites.  I think it is only sent every
>  hour.

yes indeed, it was ok after about 1 hour of the power up. Sorry  but I
didn't remember I had ever waited so long for the UTC to come  "on".
I'm now plotting the signal strength vs AZ/EL map, I'll post  the
result tomorrow so maybe someone can tell me how the new antenna  is
working.

Thanks
Frank  IZ8DWF