[time-nuts] Sw for pm6680B

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed May 2 17:14:50 UTC 2012

Hi Pierre-François,

On 05/02/2012 05:13 AM, "Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)" wrote:
> Hi Nigel, Magnus, Bjorn & the Gang,
>
> Thanks for all your replies to my initial message, I appreciate very much.
> I downloaded the lastest version of TimeLab and will try it soon, I just
> tested the counter against my 5370B and my different Rubidium sources.

Enjoy your TimeLab. It's particularly educational to see the ADEV and
HDEV curves flap up and down in the top tau range displayed, and then
for shorter taus it will stabilize as more data has been gathered, and
then as measurement continues, the curve stabilizes for mid-range taus.

> The old mummy arrived some days ago, I tested it, it works great, at
> least the basic function I tested. The OCXO has to be tuned properly,
> however as I'll use it in the lab driven by a PRS10 Rubidium 1pps
> synchronized with a Z3816 GPS rig so it's not a big issue.

That's not a bad way to go. Trimming the OCXO is a bit optional if you
slave it to the 10 MHz, but good if you want to use it free-running at
some later time.

> The question I'm wondering : Does the PM6680B (or PM6681B) replace
> completely a 5370B?
> My two main problems with the 5370B are the noise and the heat (then the
> AC consumption)!
> Also the 5370B on the bench is much more heavy compared to the PM6680B...
>
> So I'm not sure if one replace the other, so keeping the 5370B is
> certainly preferable?...
> Don't know... :-\
> Your advises are welcome.

As I mentioned in a separate comment, no, the PM6680B does not
completely replace your 5370B.

> All the bests to all of you and enjoy your toys...

We always do!

Cheers,
Magnus