[time-nuts] Oh dear

DaveH info at blackmountainforge.com
Mon May 7 04:26:12 UTC 2012

These people are amazing.

They refuse to do any kind of double-blind A/B testing.

My favorite thing is that they are trying to extract the maximum "fidelity"
from an album or CD that was recorded in a studio with little or no AC power
conditioning, whose recording consoles were wired with the cheapest solid
and stranded copper wire and whose monitor speakers were probably a pair of
cheap Yamaha NS-10's (if you can make something sound good on an NS-10, it
will sound good on anything).

They claim to like the "warm" sound of their tube equipment but all they are
doing is getting second-order distortion from running their tubes into a
non-linear region. Tubes distort based on octaves and the distortion product
is pleasant.  Transistors distort on odd-order harmonics --  3rds, 5ths,
etc... And this sounds very clangerous.  FETs are even order and so are
often used for audiophile power amplification.

The phrase "Placebo Effect" was coined for a reason.

Dave