[time-nuts] Oh dear

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Mon May 7 16:29:10 UTC 2012

It has nothing to do with engineering.

"Artists", and I use the word with a huge bag of salt, are often Prima
Donnas. They are under the illusion that their works are masterpieces,
because they sell millions of copies on iTunes or elsewhere, or theit
concerts are sold out in two minutes. So, naturally, every nuance of their
work needs THE most elaborate equipment to reproduce it in every
breathless detail.

So, to cater to the "talent", studios build bigger, more impressive,
facilities, to attract them.

It's almost entirely a marketing enterprise. The hucksters leading the
gullible at all levels.

I have a friend who is very into classical music. He spent tens of
thousands on a sound system. I then suggested he spend a few hundred and
go listen to the Boston Symphony live and in person. He was really bummed
out for months afterwards. Now he has taken up collecting records, yes
vinyl.

Go figure,

-John

[snip]