[time-nuts] Oh dear

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Mon May 7 16:51:26 UTC 2012

Isn't "long term stability" an oxymoron? Or, put another way, a Murphy
Mantra?
Don

MailLists
> Let's expect the ultimate portable MP3 player with atomic clock
> reference... >:]
>
> Also funny are the offerings with RbO CD-clocks... usually "tweaked"
> FE-5680s, which are not exactly famous for a clean jitter/spurious free
> output signal... The only reason is the easiness of output frequency
> adjustment (for the DDS models) to that of the standard CD clock, which
> promptly places a premium on the price tag.
> A good XO is way better and cheaper, with the notable exception of
> temperature, and long term stability - still waiting for the golden ears
> capable of hearing that one...
>
> On 5/7/2012 12:20 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
>> On Mon, 07 May 2012 13:40:15 +0530
>> Raj<vu2zap at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I once did a test with a "audio expert" and compared a CD and a
>>> digital copy.
>>> He confirmed that the copy was the original and when I showed him
>>> which was which
>>> he still refused to believe.. I know a local guy who gold plated the
>>> PCBs for his home brewed amp!
>>

>> Well.. there is lots of bogus information going around in the
>> audiophile
>> scene... Probably mostly because todays audio technology is so
>> advanced,
>> that Clarke's 3rd Law applies...
>>
>> But to bring this back to time nutty topics, have a look at
>> http://www.colorfly.eu/product.html
>> It's an MP3 player with high precision timing. It does not only use
>> two TCXOs with<5ps Jitter.. No! It also employes a technique known
>> as "Jitter Kill" for the ultimate mobile sound experience! :-)
>>
>> 			Attila Kinali

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road