[time-nuts] Oh dear

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Mon May 7 18:00:26 UTC 2012

Analog Devices and Linear Technology have application notes on this
subject.  At least with sampling converters, jitter directly limits
dynamic range.

My back of the envelope calculation comes up with about 25ps of RMS
jitter for an ideal 16 bit sampling converter at audio frequencies but
most delta-sigma converters should tolerate higher levels.  Analog
Devices says 100s of ps of clock jitter is acceptable for them.

How low can the dynamic range be before it becomes audible?