[time-nuts] Faster than light of a different type

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue May 8 03:57:08 UTC 2012

On 5/7/12 8:45 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

> One thing that might help is if everybody would get in the habit of scanning
> all their mail before responding to anything.  The idea is that if a
> discussion explodes while you are sleeping (or away from your mail for
> whatever reason), you will learn that a topic has exploded before you
> contribute your wise-ass or me-too comment.  Even if your answer is technical
> and valuable, you might notice that somebody has already said exactly what
> you were about to say.

AN interesting comment..

I wonder if the nature of email and how it gets read has any effect on
usenet lists.

Think back to expensive dialup days.. you'd dial up, download the batch,
and then hangup.  So you'd go through all the mail (almost like a
digest) before responding.

Now zap forward and you're reading on an iPhone, which tends to promote
a more "interactive" style of usage.