[time-nuts] Faster than light of a different type

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu May 10 01:11:22 UTC 2012

On 5/9/12 11:06 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Mon, 07 May 2012 15:16:51 -0700
> jim s<jws at jwsss.com>  wrote:
>
>> Sadly the actual information is behind a paywall.
>
> BTW: Little known fact: most university libraries have site subscriptions
> for the most popular/relevant scientific journals. You usually can access
> these journals from the computers at the libary for free. (free as in
> paid by your tax money).

I'm not so sure about that, in general.  (the access to the public, not
the tax funding)..  A lot of universities have put badge readers on a
lot of areas that one might think are totally public access.  Now, they
might be wide open during the middle of the day, but at some point, you
have to badge in to get access (so that my daughter studying at 3AM
doesn't meet up with weirdness, probably).

There's also more and more badge access to computers (so that they know
you have agreed to the acceptable use policy and/or can pay for your
printer output).  The need for you badge on campus is so pervasive there
are big signs on my daughter's dorm doors "did you remember your
J-card?"  (if for no other reason than you can't get back into the
building without it, unless you get security to let you in, and if it's
sleeting that's miserable)

I'll have to ask her about whether there are access controls on online
databases.