[time-nuts] Clocks for Audio gear

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu May 10 17:27:57 UTC 2012

I've alway have thought that if nanosecond level jitter is "bad" then
breathing while listening must be really bad.  If you inhale the path
length from your ear to the speaker changes at the microsecond level.
 You'd think the resulting doppler shift would drive these audiophiles
nuts.  All that pitch shifting.

So my new product for this is the "head vice"  It will have three
wooden plates with lead screw clamps in a cast iron frame.   The iron
frame is to be bolted to a wall of other massive object.   This will
greatly reduce those annoying microsecond level audio path length
variations that are caused by breathing, blood flow and eye blinks.
For those sensitive to picosecond level jitter, the wood blocks can be
removed and the steel clamp plate applied directly (wood after all is
elastic and compressible)

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:03 AM, J. Forster <jfor at quikus.com> wrote:
> In fact, I do believe the paper is a voice of rationality in an ocean oh
> hype. Very expensive hype, promoted by shameless hucksters.
>
> -John
>
> ===========
>

>> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:57 AM, MailLists <lists at medesign.ro> wrote:
>>> Hearing tests showed the ability to discern jitter above a few hundred
>>> nanoseconds rms.
>>> http://amorgignitamorem.nl/Audio/Jitter/Detection%20threshold%20for%20distortions%20due%20to%20jitter%20on%20digital%20audio%2026_50.pdf
>>>
>>> Others claim the ability to detect jitter in the picoseconds range...
>>
>> If we are to believe the above paper,then those guys who claim to hear
>> pS jitter are wrong.  Likely they can also here is a fuse is is place
>> in the holder "backwards".
>>
>> So by the above, no now can hear 250 nS of jitter.    I really doubt
>> any decent system other then the most low-cost consumer level junk has
>> jitter at the 250 nS level.   Even a TTL "can oscillator" is better
>> than that.
>>
>> A TTL can that is marked "4.096 MHz" costs about $2 and will make a
>> square wave with a period of very close to 250 nS.   Then they divide
>> this down to the sample rate of 96KHz.   In order to see a 250 nS
>> jitter in the 96K signal the TTL can would have to "skip a beat".
>> 250 nS is is a huge error and you don't get there with digital noise
>>
>> Chris Albertson
>> Redondo Beach, California

>> and follow the instructions there.

Chris Albertson