[time-nuts] Clocks for Audio gear

Tom Knox actast at hotmail.com
Thu May 10 17:49:37 UTC 2012

Great dialog. The Time Nuts form can be very humbling and often has me questioning my own knowledge base. This thread is no exception. My take on the effect of jitter is when an d toA converter is reproducing a pure sine wave even a single point of slight jitter will show up in the FFT as false analog content. In a complex wave it can easily change the relationship between a fundamental and harmonics. This is a major problem in speaker crossovers design where drivers with different masses can only be aligned at one freq. It has been my experience this relationship between fundmentals and harmonics is noticeably audible at levels that are difficult to measure. To me, it is this difficulty to mathematically define certain aspects of audible distortion that makes audio design fascinating. (It also makes some voodoo science and snake oil products difficult to disprove, especially to those lacking an electronics or physics background)  Will timing improvements affect sound quality, because of the complexity of human hearing it seems to me still worthy of investigation. Time will tell.
Best Wishes;
Thomas Knox