[time-nuts] Clocks for Audio gear

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu May 10 18:36:40 UTC 2012

albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
> I've alway have thought that if nanosecond level jitter is "bad" then
> breathing while listening must be really bad.  If you inhale the path length
> from your ear to the speaker changes at the microsecond level.
>  You'd think the resulting doppler shift would drive these audiophiles nuts.
>  All that pitch shifting.

Perhaps the spectrum of the "jitter" matters.  If the frequency is low
enough, I call it wander rather than jitter.  Audio doesn't need DC or low
frequencies so wander is easy to filter out with a simple high-pass filter.

Heartbeats may be more interesting than breathing.  Does anybody know of
spectrum domain data?  It should be possible to collect position info while
also monitoring heartbeat and chest diameter and then crunch some numbers do
see how much of the position correlates with heartbeat vs breathing and then
plot each part in the frequency domain.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.