[time-nuts] Clocks for Audio gear

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu May 10 20:09:06 UTC 2012

On 5/10/12 12:44 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Heinzmann, Stefan  (ALC NetworX
> GmbH)<Stefan.Heinzmann at alcnetworx.de>  wrote:
>
>> Benjamin and Gannon, the first reference in Ashihara's paper, come to lower figures for sinusoidal jitter with carefully selected frequencies relative to the main signal, which is also sinusoidal. Their results reach down to the single figure nanosecond range, and that can be regarded as the real limit of audibility.
>

> Are there any real audio systems with "sinusoidal jitter".

powerline ripple on a signal going into a threshold detector that drive
the sample clock would be a nice way to generate sinusoidal jitter.

I've got a nice example where 66MHz processor clock modulates a 49MHz
sample clock (well, it's not perfectly sinusoidal, but if you digitize a
clean sine wave, you get nice aliases of the modulation frequency).

   I'd goes