[time-nuts] Trimble Resolution SMT - good/bad/indifferent?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu May 10 23:17:14 UTC 2012

The first problem is, I didn't even know that was the command set the unit
had, the @@Cf looked familiar though. I wasted an hour trying to get the
Trimble application to work, until I tried WinOncore12 and the unit
responded.

Can't use TeraTerm to send commands, and the user manual doesn't document
which Motorola commands are supported, some I found are not, and it doesn't
send PVT sentences by default, it requires the user to initialize the GPS
every time the power is cycled. I never got that, why would Motorola assume
the  receiver should be muted until enabled via software command? That
doesn't make  any sense to me. By default, send some useful PVT messages (Ha, Hn,
for example)  and allow the user to set up the unit to be mute when so
desired. I wonder how  many folks have pulled out their hair trying to get their
Motorola units talking  at the right baud rate etc etc.

Maybe using it in products makes sense when one has time to learn and
program for the binary messages, but debugging and development are a  hassle..

Lastly, can't use the host of NMEA compatible applications that are out
there, the Motorola-aware apps are pretty limited.

Again uBlox has it right in my opinion: support for a huge host of binary
commands if so desired, and standard NMEA output by default without any user
 interaction required.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 5/10/2012 14:07:55 Pacific Daylight Time,
azelio.boriani at screen.it writes:

What's  bad with the Motorola binary protocol? In my opinion it is superior
to the  NMEA one...