[time-nuts] question about Thunderbolt geo acuracy

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri May 11 13:57:08 UTC 2012

On 5/11/12 5:54 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
> Go to your local building and planning commission, and get yourself
> a copy of the topographical map for your address. They are cheap, and
> are the standard by which everyone (insurance, zoning, ...) determines
> your flood plane exposure.

I have been informed (in the last 5 minutes) that whether you are in a
flood plain, these days, are determined almost entirely by the
geographic position of your property on the FEMA flood plain map.  (at
least as far as lenders and HO insurance goes) FEMAs maps may or may not
align with USGS maps.  They almost certainly do NOT align with the
county recorder's maps.

If you're in an area where FEMA doesn't issue maps then it's something
else, and USGS or local maps may determine.  But I notice from the FEMA
Flood Map server that they cover even things up in the mountains (e.g.
Alpine county in California)