[time-nuts] Tbolt failure modes

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat May 12 13:47:22 UTC 2012

On 05/12/2012 03:37 PM, Mark Sims wrote:

> It sounds like the -12V supply is used to generate the DAC low voltage reference.  If it is floating,  the DAC output will be unstable.  If it is at a solid voltage,  the DAC output will be stable.  The standard EFC range for a tbolt is -5V to +5V,  but since almost all Tbolts are running the osc with a positive EFC voltage,  it will work with the -12V line grounded.
>
> I suspect that  although it may appear to be working,  the DAC output may not be as stable as with a negative rail available since whatever is generating the negative DAC reference voltage will be well below its dropout voltage.
>
> One thing to try is to do an oscillator autotune with the -12V line grounded  and at -12V.  Your DAC gain will probably double (or half) since the DAC output range is now 0V..5V instead of -5V to 5V.  The tbolt firmware knows what the expected dac voltages rails are (readable via an undocumented TSIP message) are and also has settings for what range to allow the EFC to swing.

Well, all this is well, but doesn't reflect well on Björns problems I
think, I did look at his postings in this thread and he seems to have
valid -12V.

What is an issue is that the big ASIC seems either powerless or kept not
running.

Either a 3,3V regulator went down, got shorted or something, or clock
failed or reset line not released.

I am a bit interested in this myself, but don't have the time to drive
down to him this weekend.

Cheers,
Magnus