[time-nuts] Trimble Resolution SMT - good/bad/indifferent?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 14 17:57:24 UTC 2012

> I see the Trimble Resolution SMT Timing GPS OEM board 66974-35 on a
> well-known auction site from a weel-know seller "fluke.i", at quite a
> good price, and free UK post.  Is it any good - as good it seems to be.
> Any experience?

Just to report back that I eventually got round to powering up one of the
two units I bought, having found an SMB connector, and having decided to
"wire-wrap" the 8-pin connector (a non-standard spacing), and having
decided to power the unit from 5V USB through a 16-ohm dropper to get the
3.3V it needs!

Initially, it didn't seem to be working, as there was no serial output and
the LED I had connected via a 1.5K to PPS output wasn't flashing.
However, when I put the 'scope on the PPS signal, it locked and showed a
pulse of just over 100 microseconds.  Much shorter than I had expected
(but I hadn't read the manual in detail).  The timing was within a
fraction of a microsecond of other PPS sources.  On disconnecting the
power, and re-applying it, the PPS signal returned after about 45 seconds.

So on that basis, I'm happy.  I've not tried it as a source for NTP.

  http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDI0WDY0MA==/$(KGrHqZHJ!4E9qHIuLeNBPkC5j4p8Q~~60_3.JPG

No programming needed, I just powered it up.

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email:  david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk