[time-nuts] Why are 1PPS signals so skinny?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon May 14 18:34:40 UTC 2012

You don't want it symmetric.  If it were then you'd not be able to
notice if it was inverted.   You need the asymmetry but the next
question is "how asymmetric?"   In theory all the information is on
the raising edge of the pulse so you cam make it as short as you like
and not loose any information.    OK so that sets the limits on both
ends.    Next thing, I'd guess is power, a low duty cycle certainly
uses less power.

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Mark Sims <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> My first inclination,  if I were building a timing receiver,  would be to make the PPS output a nice,  symmetrical square wave.   But pretty much all GPS timing receivers output an anorexic,  dinky little heroin addicted supermodel sized pulse (from 1 to 150uS wide is typical).

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California