[time-nuts] Why are 1PPS signals so skinny?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed May 16 00:58:58 UTC 2012

Hi Rick,

one reason why we "happy blink" at 1/2Hz :)

There are other offendors as well, such as the processor and GPS going
through the hoops once per second, but the 100mA surge from the 1PPS output
driver trumps all else.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 5/15/2012 16:44:08 Pacific Daylight Time,
richard at karlquist.com writes:

SAIDJACK at aol.com wrote:
> Yes, but the point is to not use  end-termination for all the reasons
> mentioned by others in this  thread, such as massive spike in power
> consumption
> once per  second, over-voltage spikes if the termination is faulty or

FWIW, the  E1938A oscillator control board had a "happy light" LED
that flashed 1 time  per second, and sure enough this corrupted the
power supply and affected  some applications.  We added a command
to turn it off.

Rick  Karlquist N6RK