[time-nuts] Buffering a PPS signal

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri May 18 23:53:05 UTC 2012

tvb at LeapSecond.com said:
> If this is for a computer and NTP then you may ignore the sawtooth.

> GPS receiver sawtooth corrections are for people working at the nanosecond
> level; important when you're working with disciplining quartz or rubidium
> oscillators with stability at the 1e-12 level.

> Computer timekeeping and NTP is a million times worse than this.

I think you are off by a few orders of magnitude.  A million ns is a ms.
It's easy to get NTP running much than that.

I agree that most systems running NTP are unlikely to notice the sawtooth
correction, but this is time-nuts.

Have the PTP guys gotten good enough to notice hanging bridges yet?  (as the
phase of their clocks  drifts)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.