[time-nuts] NTGS50AA, better than Thunderbolt

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon May 21 01:04:44 UTC 2012

Hi Mark,

Do you have data/plots on this and your previous NTGS50AA? Several posts imply it is "better than a Thunderbolt". If you have some phase noise plots or locked phase/frequency difference or holdover raw data that you could send I'd appreciate it.

I ask because having tested hundreds of TBolts here for the TAPR group buy I know there is some variation in units. Not to mention there have been several different Thunderbolt products over the years. So "compared to a TBolt" is somewhat vague.

The NTGS50AA board I bought on eBay last January was not remarkable. It fit in the general TBolt-class GPSDO and I didn't pursue it further.

What I'm wondering is if your NTGS50AA is unusually good, or your Thunderbolt is below average, or if your testing is based on metrics different from what I use. Maybe there are significantly different versions of NTGS50AA.

On the issue of temperature sensitivity -- do you know if the TBolt sensitivity that you see is primarily due to the OCXO itself or due to the DS1620 sensor and firmware [over]reaction to said temperature change?

Thanks,
/tvb