[time-nuts] Serial port server .. any interest in a write up on using ?

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Tue May 22 23:48:02 UTC 2012

On 5/22/2012 3:39 PM, Ed Palmer wrote:
> I've played with a Lantronix single port server and a Digi 16 port
> server with no problems for simple COM port emulation. But I wonder if
> they would work well with an NTP server. Has anyone tested that? Is the
> network delay a problem due to either amount of delay or variation in
> the delay?

I use a Moxa NPort 5610 with a Thunderbolt for NTP. Only the serial goes
through the Moxa, the PPS goes direct to DCD on a local serial port. I
do that because the Moxa allows multiple access to the attached serial
device, so I can run both NTP and Lady Heather against the Thunderbolt.
Since NTP locks to the PPS, and only uses the serial for TOD, latency
isn't an issue.

The Linux drivers are, um, interesting, but they do work, once you get
them configured and running. It appears as a serial device under /dev/.