[time-nuts] DDS in GPSDO design?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon May 28 01:07:20 UTC 2012

The keyword is good most commercial DDS chips aren't (at least when used
directly for a fine offset generator ).
The Symmetricom TSC5120A phase noise test set implements the DDS in an
FPGA wherein which its possible to virtually avoid the phase truncation
errors produced by commercial DDS chips.
FPGA + external DAC DDS implementations can be very good as long as an
appropriate design is used.
One can also choose output frequencies for DDS chips that are phase
truncation free but this precludes fine tuning unless one resorts to
using the several DDS chips in a diophantine synthesizer.

Bruce