[time-nuts] A counter for phase measures

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Nov 2 16:11:09 UTC 2012

Hi

If you want Adev of < 1.0 x 10^-11 at a tau of 1 second, then a counter
probably is not going to do it for you. To do a reasonable job on "time nut"
grade stuff you probably want something with a floor of < 1.0 x 10^-13 at a
tau of 1 second.

You have several choices:

1) Forget about 1 second and move out to 100 seconds. At that point your
53132's and the like will do ok. Their resolution goes up as the time gets
longer.

2) If you are measuring pps's go over to something like a Wavecrest.

3) If you are looking at 10 MHz either go to a DMTD or a TimePod.

In all cases, the gizmo it's self just takes data. The PC does the heavy
lifting of turning into pretty plots. You can get sort of plots on things
like a CNT-90 or a 5371, but the PC does a much better job.

Bob