[time-nuts] HP-53132A Faded and flickering display

Edgardo Molina xe1xus at amsat.org
Fri Nov 2 16:24:07 UTC 2012

Dear Group,

Good morning! I just got my first HP-53132A frequency counter and Prologix GPIB-USB converter. Now I can do some measurements and I am excited about it.  Everything looks promising. Condition of the instrument on the outside is like new, controls responsive and no fading in lettering at the buttons. Connectors are not worn or damaged, original connectors. The unit has been tested and works OK, probably not with adequate calibration but that is not an issue now, I can always calibrate it later.

What worries me is the display. Even though being an Agilent built unit, it has probably more hours on it than a seldom used HP built unit. The flourescent display is fading, not all the digits show consistent illumination levels. The left-most digits show some flickering at some of their segments. It is readable in the end, but I am terribly disappointed about it.

Does anybody know if there is a cure for this? Or should I start saving for a better unit.

I am not afraid of the screwdriver or the soldering iron if someones suggests a display overhaul. Thank you!

Regards,

Edgardo Molina
Dirección IPTEL

www.iptel.net.mx

T : 55 55 55202444
M : 04455 20501854

Piensa en Bits SA de CV

Información anexa:

CONFIDENCIALIDAD DE INFORMACION

Este mensaje tiene carácter confidencial. Si usted no es el destinarario de este mensaje, le suplicamos se lo notifique al remitente mediante un correo electrónico y que borre el presente mensaje y sus anexos de su computadora sin retener una copia de los mismos. Queda estrictamente prohibido copiar este mensaje o hacer usode el para cualquier propósito o divulgar su en forma parcial o total su contenido. Gracias.

NON-DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION

This email is strictly confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please immediately advise the sender by replying to this e-mail and then deleting the message and its attachments from your computer without keeping a copy. It is strictly forbidden to copy it or use it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any third party. Thank you.