[time-nuts] For my whole life timezones have been weird

Sarah White kuzetsa at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 05:32:45 UTC 2012

So, at or around 1981 (the year I was born) there was a cool concept.
IBM was selling "personal computers" (IBM-PC compatible later became a
thing) and by the time I was old enough to operate a modem, I had one
myself. Life was good.

Wonder if there is any sensible way to petition microsoft to fix this
stupid mistake dating back to the DOS era. Windows 8 / metro is out now,
and I can't bloody stand the changes. Would be nice if windows 7 had an
update to fix this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687252

Article ID: 2687252 - Last Review: March 13, 2012 - Revision: 4.0

APPLIES TO
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3
Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Enterprise
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows Vista Service Pack 1
Windows Vista Service Pack 2
Windows 7 Enterprise
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Windows Server 2008 Datacenter
Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2
Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2

... Pretty sure that's 100% of all recent versions of windows. The whole
thing started because windows 3.1 / 95 / 98 / 2000 / ME / etc. etc. etc.
were all targeted with being backward compatible with the previous OS
leading all the way back to DOS (first versions of DOS were coming out
in 1981 the year I was born)

For where I live, this weekend is the "change your clocks" for the
fall... or don't, or do something else... petition microsoft maybe?

I'd love for windows 7 to have a fix for this since I'm not upgrading to
the horrible looking windows 8 --- windows 7 will be in extended support
until 2020 (( reference: http://goo.gl/unxvj )) so I figure let's try to
get them to fix it in the next few years. I'm serious about this.

Let's fix this timezone problem!!!

Pretty much every other operating system vendor out there (various POSIX
platforms including more than one version of BSD, linux and even mac OSX
since under the hood it is a POSIX based operating system) it is an
option to leave the hardeware real-time-clock (bios clock) on UTC.

Ok that's all I'm typing on this.

Angry at several of my clocks today,
Sarah White