[time-nuts] Distribution amps and slew rate

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 4 00:46:17 UTC 2012

On 11/04/2012 01:13 AM, Peter Gottlieb wrote:
> Of course you can't have a perfect square wave! That would imply zero
> transition time

... oh, THAT would be useful! :D No trigger point jitter!

... and it would be a hell to contain within the cables and connectors
we have, as they leak a lot as you get up into frequency.

> and since frequency is inverse to time that implies
> infinitely high frequency bandwidth is required to achieve that perfect
> square wave. Getting a "square" wave with a "fast enough" slew rate
> between high and low levels is certainly achievable and better than that
> perfect square wave. Be careful what you ask for, because with a perfect
> square wave you would have such high frequency content that you would
> get induced noise everywhere.

Indeed. Bob has shown this.

Another aspect of it is that phase-shifts at higher frequencies may eat
into the phase shift of the zero transition, so it may for some systems
give a worse environmental/temperature dependence than a sine would.

Then again, if you check your signal properly, a square-wave may be
exactly what you want and need. It's just that again, your milage may vary.

Cheers,
Magnus