[time-nuts] Distribution amps and slew rate

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sun Nov 4 12:21:10 UTC 2012

Hi

If you slew rate limit the square wave (which is reality) you get a sin(x)/x frequency response. It doesn't go to infinity, but the lobes keep going for quite a while.

Things like cables and connectors have upper frequency limits as well. A square wave will only be happy with a linear phase shift. Both cables and connectors depart from a linear phase vs frequency response if you go high enough in frequency. Some get quite nasty. The original Heliax with the constant spacing in the inner supports was really crazy when hit with a fast pulse. It pretty much rang forever and ever…

A simple square wave implies a DC level for a switch point. With long runs that gets messy. Most practical systems go differential. You double the cable cost, but get back to a simple switch point.

No free lunch.

Bob