[time-nuts] Is it sensible to update every few seconds from NTP server?

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Wed Nov 7 21:41:36 UTC 2012

Someone at my radio club uses some mode of operation where accurate
time is required. He said the standard Windoze clock does not keep
sufficiently accurate, so he has software which updates from an NTP
server every 4 seconds or so. It's not exactly a denial of service
(DOS) attack, but seems almost close to it in NTP terms to me. I can't
really believe updating every few seconds is sensible myself, but he
assures me it works very well. (I'm rather hoping it does not use a
stratum 1 server!)

I'm sure someone will say if you want accurate time on a PC, to use
some combination of GPS, rubidium or OCXO with a 1 pps pulse and a
serial port on a FreeBSD or similar computer. But that's probably not
practical if your software only works on Windoze.

Any comments?

Dave, G8WRB.