[time-nuts] Is it sensible to update every few seconds from NTP server?

Christopher Brown cbrown at woods.net
Thu Nov 8 03:04:20 UTC 2012

There are 2 different things here.

"Setting" the time based on a single query.

"Disciplining" the local clock

Many of the built in NTP clients just "Set" the time every X

Setting one of these to "SET" the local clock every X seconds is a less
than good thing.

If you timing needs are loose, let the client _set_ the time once an
hour or day.

If you need tight timing, install a full NTP setup.

Normally this means...

Host starts up

Host performs a _set_ to get the time within a few tens of ms

Host then fires up a proper ntp server, with a list of remote service.
This talks to all of the provided servers, figures the local osc offset,
compensates and keeps everything in-line.

This is a much better (and more stable) setup than hard setting the
clock every 4 seconds