[time-nuts] Z3805

Bob rbenward at verizon.net
Sun Nov 11 15:23:29 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I've heard much talk in this group about the power supplies on the Z3805.
After about 10 days with no power here on Long Island (thanks Sandy.), I
finally fired up my Z3805.  It started producing a real bad smell after a
few hours, the classic burnt transformer type.  This is my second Z3805 and
it didn't smell the first time  ran it, nor did my first one smell.  I
opened the unit and found the 25W 5V, +/-15V (made by AT&T) was real, real
hot.

Eventually the smell went away and the supply cooled down a bit.  The unit
reports all OK,  is tracking SATs, and running properly.  IMHO It seems this
supply was not properly derated for start-up conditions.  Is this the supply
driving the heater inside the 10811?  Has anybody installed a CPU
heatsink/fan combination to help in thermal management?

Any insight would be appreciated.