[time-nuts] Z3805

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 11 16:59:01 UTC 2012

On 11/11/12 16:23, Bob wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've heard much talk in this group about the power supplies on the Z3805.
> After about 10 days with no power here on Long Island (thanks Sandy.), I
> finally fired up my Z3805.  It started producing a real bad smell after a
> few hours, the classic burnt transformer type.  This is my second Z3805 and
> it didn't smell the first time  ran it, nor did my first one smell.  I
> opened the unit and found the 25W 5V, +/-15V (made by AT&T) was real, real
> hot.
>

> Eventually the smell went away and the supply cooled down a bit.  The unit
> reports all OK,  is tracking SATs, and running properly.  IMHO It seems this
> supply was not properly derated for start-up conditions.  Is this the supply
> driving the heater inside the 10811?  Has anybody installed a CPU
> heatsink/fan combination to help in thermal management?
>

> Any insight would be appreciated.

The oven heatup should be essentially finished after 15-30 min, so load
on PSU should be essentially back to normal after that.

It doesn't look like that PSU is in it's best state, so I would consider
looking at it and see if it needs an overhaul.

Could be that cooling isn't what it should be, but it rarely gets this
bad for such a PSU.

Cheers,
Magnus