[time-nuts] Inexpensive modular gps with 1pps

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Nov 15 19:27:05 UTC 2012

david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk said:
> Well, after 5 hours the Adafruit unit finally locked - must have been just
> the right combination of satellites!  I was slightly surprised by the
> difference in antenna size.  It would have to be placed near a window for
> normal use.  ......

There is another variable to consider: cold start vs warm start.  If it
doesn't know the time or doesn't have a recent copy of the satellite orbit
info, it has to search a lot harder to get locked up.

When you get a chance, disconnect it for an hour and try again.  I'm assuming
it has a battery backup so it can keep track of time.  Or watch the number of
satellites it can see and compare that with other receivers in a similar
location.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.