[time-nuts] Inexpensive modular gps with 1pps

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 06:58:05 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Hal Murray
[]
There is another variable to consider: cold start vs warm start.  If it
doesn't know the time or doesn't have a recent copy of the satellite orbit
info, it has to search a lot harder to get locked up.

When you get a chance, disconnect it for an hour and try again.  I'm
assuming
it has a battery backup so it can keep track of time.  Or watch the number
of
satellites it can see and compare that with other receivers in a similar
location.

Yes, it's the cold start which is the problem in this case.  According to
the specification it should take 35 seconds (typical), but it needs a signal
20 dB higher than the tracking level to achieve this...

Tried you suggested test, and re-acquisition was fast - yes, it has battery
backup; a feature I now consider essential!

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk