[time-nuts] Z3805

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Fri Nov 16 07:50:57 UTC 2012

Bob wrote:

>I've heard much talk in this group about the power supplies on the Z3805.
>*   *   *   my Z3805   *   *   *   started producing a real bad smell after a
>few hours, the classic burnt transformer type.  *   *   *   I opened the
>unit and found the 25W 5V, +/-15V (made by AT&T) was real, real hot.
>
>  Is this the supply driving the heater inside the 10811?

There appear to be quite a number of different boxes available
labeled "Z3805" these days, so information you get may or may not
apply to the particular unit you have.  My Korean-made Z3805A takes
nominally 24-27 V DC power and has a dual-oven 10811 OCXO.  I presume
-- but do not know for sure -- that the ovens run from the raw DC
supply, not from a DC-DC converter.

If the smell did come from the DC-DC converter block, it suggests a
failure either in the converter itself or in the circuitry that is