[time-nuts] Nifty "MINI TIC" for DMTD work

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Mon Nov 19 19:48:16 UTC 2012

uh, ok, how do we order the boards?
Don L

cdelect at juno.com

> "MINI-TIC" for DMTD work
>

> Hi Everyone!
>
> I've been testing a Miniature 2 channel TIC that Bert Kehren and Juerg
> Koegel
> and Richard Mc Corkle have designed.
>
> It has 9 digits/Sec. and with a 1HZ offset in the DMTD unit gives a
> resolution of 1X10-15th  at 10 MHz, 2X10-15 with a 5 MHz input, when
> measuring
> Allan deviation. The 200 MHz version doubles the resolution.
>
> Of course the baseline performance of the DMTD unit and the stability of
> the DMTD reference determines the actual accuracy you can obtain.
>
> (My dual mixer has a baseline of approx. 8X10-14th at 1 second and my
> best reference is  4X10-13th at 1 second.)
>
> The "MINI" takes a 5 or 10 MHz reference that only has to be stable to
> parts in 10-8th/sec.
> I used a neat 14PIN ovenized DIP clock chip I got on eBay and recently
> discussed on the list.
>
> The reference is multiplied to 100Mhz for use as the counters clock.
>
> The "MINI" is about 2.5 by 2 inches and has only 5 chips. Two opto
> couplers an
> op amp for two analog channels are also on the board. If run on 5 volt a
> 3.3 V
> regulator is also on the board. Power required is +5VDC 0.05 A  and +-
> 12
>
> (for the RS232 interface)
>
> It also has two pins you can individually ground to measure the period
> of
> the beat
> note from either channel.
>
> This allows you to adjust the offset frequency quickly and accurately.
>
> I installed the "MINI" into a 1U chassis with the power supply and also
> added "heartbeat" LEDS for each channel to show the presence of the 1PPS
> inputs.
>
> I have plotted several Rubidium and many Quartz using the "MINI"
> simultaneously with a SR620 counter/timer. The plots are "identical"! So
> much
> so that I am going to "retire" and sell my SR620!
>
> I understand work is complete on a 4 channel counters and Bluetooth
> interface,
> and work is ongoing on a LCD.
>
> The "MINI" material cost is less than $25.00 depending on how many
> boards are ordered!
>
> Resoution based on clock frequency and beat frequency:
>
> Carrier[MHz]  Beat [Hz]     Heterodyne    TIC [ns]   Resolution
> 10101.00E+06101.00E-14
> 1011.00E+07101.00E-15
> 1011.00E+0755.00E-16
> 10101.00E+0655.00E-15
> 5105.00E+05102.00E-14
> 515.00E+06102.00E-15
> 515.00E+0651.00E-15
> 5105.00E+0551.00E-14

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road