[time-nuts] GPS Modules Indoors

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Nov 20 17:56:44 UTC 2012

celephicus at gmail.com said:
> I know that the accuracy of GPS degrades indoors. However, suppose that I
> just want to turn a GPS module on, acquire the current time accurate to a
> second, and then turn it off. I can get a good deal on the U-Blox LEA-5H
> modules (same as used on Arduino shields I think), which have a high
> sensitivity, and I can use an active antenna if needed.

You haven't defined "indoors".  I think you will have to try it in your
location(s).

It won't work deep inside a machine room.  We tried it once in a typical
two-story silicon valley office building.  It didn't work there.  We also
tried it in the 5th floor of a modern office building with a great view.  It
didn't work, probably because of some anti-heat coating on the windows.

Inside my single floor house, they work most of the time.

albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
> I don't think GPS is ever so in accurate as to have a 1 second error.  If it
> has a solution at all it is going to be at least within a millisecond.

I've seen occasional way-off "solutions" from GPS modules.  I don't have
examples handy but I wouldn't depend on a single/quick answer in any critical
application.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.