[time-nuts] GPS Modules Indoors

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Nov 20 20:34:39 UTC 2012

Hi

If "indoors" always includes a view through unshielded windows to towards the equator, then you might be ok. If it includes pole only facing offices in a conventional steel structure - not so much. The issue isn't so much time, as ability to get a good enough signal to lock to. If you add a "unknown" location (you don't have a survey) and an "unknown" almanac (you have been off for a while), that just makes things harder.

Consider that while I can get cell phone coverage anywhere in my home, there are buildings in the area that I can't get coverage in. Around here, (as in most urban areas), if I can't get a cell phone signal, there's no chance at all of getting GPS.

Provided you have a valid almanac, a rational location fix (as in a survey), and are tracking multiple satellites, I can't think of a case where you would have a significant time error. That may just be my lack of imagination.

For one second accuracy, a time tick over a cell phone should be fine. That would be far more robust than a GPS setup.

Bob