[time-nuts] WWVB PSK demodulation; simple carrier regeneration?

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 01:27:28 UTC 2012

Dave
A couple of comments numbers of folks on Time-nuts have suggested the same
types of approaches. Though outside of an armchair discussion not much
happens. So I believe that what you say is reasonable. Jut remember lots of
the country has poor reception so that really makes life hard.
It was absolutely not apparent to me early on exactly when the phase would
change.
I was looking at all the wrong places as they say. I did find it and since
then its been confirmed. So it makes it even harder.
But lots of tinkering actually has gone on with more traditional methods
and they all worked poorly.
Back to what you are thinking.
The problem may actually be easier. So sure downconvert etc. But all you
want to know is the phase flipped and then flip an inverting amp in or out
of line. That creates a corrected non psk shifted signal or as a I say
"d-psk-d". It doesn't even have to happen instantly. I check for 3 60 KHz
cycles to make sure it was not some noise faking me out. The way the phase
tracking rcvrs work it could be 1/4 second and don't believe it would be an
issue. They are pretty tolerant.
This simple reality is what makes this pretty interesting. I don't believe
you need a lot of processing at all. I am looking directly at the 60 Khz
and writing the program in basic and have plenty of cycles left over.
So I think its a lot more about trying then the ole arm chair. I have a
pile of should have worked boards. Sure have learned allot and thanks to
numbers of time-nuts for thoughts and support.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL