[time-nuts] Question re 1pps output on the Z3805A

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 00:41:12 UTC 2012

TTL transition times are not all that fast, about 6ns for LS TTL, and
with a 26uS pulse width, you would only need a fast oscilloscope to
characterize the pulse edges.  Delay, phase, and pulse height
measurements in this case could be made even with a 20 MHz,
0.35/20Mhz=17.5ns rise and fall time, oscilloscope.

Any storage oscilloscope, digital or analog, will work great for such
a low repetition rate signal but a sampling oscilloscope in the
traditional sense would be exactly the wrong instrument.  It is
unfortunately and confusing that DSO could stand for either digital
storage oscilloscope or digital sampling oscilloscope and marketing
departments sure have not helped distinguish the two very different
instruments.

A good analog oscilloscope using normal as oppose to automatic
triggering in a dark room will work if you are desperate.  I have done
it but it is tedious and headache prone work.