[time-nuts] GPS antenna in attic?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Nov 25 19:09:45 UTC 2012

nerd at verizon.net said:
> I'm beginning to set up in my new house and planning where all my various
> antennas are going to go.  Being a wood frame building, I was wondering if
> it  was sufficient to simply mount my Thunderbolt GPS antenna high in the
> attic.  It  would be convenient as there is already a high quality CATV line
> running from  there to my lab area that I'm not going to use and the
> Thunderbolt antenna  system is 75 ohms.  Will I have much attenuation going
> through an asphalt  shingle roof?  What if it is wet?  Or has some snow on
> it?  Another advantage  for me would be I could mount that antenna on the
> opposite end of the house from  where I will have VHF and UHF transmitter
> antennas.

Try it.  That's the only way to find out how well it works for you.

Do you have software to monitor holdover?

My TBolt antenna is inside, one ceiling under a similar roof.  It switches
into holdover several times a day.  I think it happens more often when the
roof is wet but I don't have numbers to back that up.  No snow here so I
can't comment on that.

Part of my problems may be reflections (multi-path) from nearby buildings.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.