[time-nuts] GPS antenna in attic?

d.seiter at comcast.net d.seiter at comcast.net
Mon Nov 26 07:17:32 UTC 2012

Another possible option is running the cable through the same hole in the roof as the vent pipe. Frequently (for bath exhaust vents and such) there is a ~4-8" tin or aluminum shroud & "hat" around the vent pipe, and in many cases, a gap between the pipe and roofing material (the shroud opening having a mesh to keep out critters). I used the gap to run my old Z3801A cable out before I had my roof replaced. I never replaced it because I upgraded to better cable, and it was too rigid for the old path (it had to bend enough to create a drip loop to keep the water out). I never did get around to rerouting the cable, so it's at ceiling level in the office. The performance is a little worse than I used to get but not bad enough to be a problem. In my case, the vent and main stack are about 2' apart, so mounting the antenna pipe (plastic) to the main stack worked nicely.

-Dave