[time-nuts] Surge Arresters

Peter G. Viscarola PeterGV at osr.com
Mon Nov 26 15:44:40 UTC 2012

Hi TimeNuts,

What are people using for surge arresters between your GPS receiver and the antenna, at the entrance to your house?

I've got an entrance panel set up for HF, with copper ribbon to two ground rods.  I'd like to add a connection for my GPSDO.

I know the frequency is about 1.6GHz, and the active antennas use 5V or less... is that correct?  What are the parameters I should consider when selecting an arrester?

An associated question, also, if I may:  Does it matter if I use different types of cable between the antenna and the entrance panel and then entrance panel and the GPS receiver?

Thanks for your guidance,

Peter
K1PGV