[time-nuts] MT3339 chipset 10ns jitter?

Fabio Eboli fabioeb at quipo.it
Mon Nov 26 22:15:09 UTC 2012

Azelio,

I dont have a GPSDO and this will be may first attempt
to make one.
I have a pair of working FE5680 with their 10MHz and PPS
outputs, at 10s integration time the counter measures them
at 10MHz+ 15mHz and 10MHz +45mHz. The counter oscillator
is the opt 04E "high stability" OCXO.
So if I understand correctly my option could be the
"Second choice": the FE5680A 10MHz output as ext timebase
for the counter, and measure the PPS under test period.
Using 1s integrqation I will have 1nS resolution, with
one result per 2s.
Using 10s integraqtion time the counter returns 10digits,
showing 100nS resolution. I will collect one reading every
20s, a slow process. Will this setup be enough?

Fabio