[time-nuts] They're baaaack!

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Tue Oct 2 08:11:01 UTC 2012

And I will not pay telephone prices for wideband data service. Pfui.
Don

gary
> There is also a proposal to pay commercial TV stations to move together
> as a cluster, then chop off part of the TV band for wireless. The
> current market simply will never fill the allotted DTV spectrum.
> [Cable/satellite/internet-streaming filled the void.] It is a bit
> nauseating to pay the broadcasts for spectrum that they never paid for
> in the first place.
>
> While I don't favor paying the broadcasters, I like everything else
> about this approach. Further, I'd get rid of VHF DTV all together. In
> the transition period, we did just fine when they were all on UHF. Save
> VHF for public service. I'd even grant the old VHF users an extra
> site/channel or two to make up for lost range.
>
> Currently the wireless companies in the US, at least the two major GSM
> providers, are dumping the 2G service to recover that spectrum. It is
> probably cheaper to migrate the 2G customers to 3G, then convert the old
> spectrum to LTE, than to buy new spectrum for LTE.
>
> As I have stated here before, there is already a satellite mobile
> service with ground transmitters, namely XM and Sirius. That system
> works today, and one of the bands is completely redundant after the
> merger. Let Light Squared pay off Sirius XM if they need a functional
> band. They could use the money.

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road